Spider bite almost kills man on trip of a lifetime!
A barrister on the trip of a lifetime almost lost his leg after being bitten by a spider.
Doctors told Jonathon Hogg he could have died after he was believed to have been bitten by a poisonous brown recluse spider on a flight from Qatar to South Africa.
Within hours, the 40-year-old’s leg had ballooned and turned black; by the time he reached hospital it was “bursting open”.
Hogg, from Camden, north London, said: “The pain was like nothing I’ve been through in my life. By the time I got to hospital my leg was bursting open, there was pus, it was black.
“It was a right mess. They told me if I had been any later I would have lost my leg or even died. It was terrifying.”
Doctors rushed him into surgery and cut away a large part of his leg where the venom had eaten the flesh, but what was left “resembled something from a horror film”.
Hogg spent a month in hospital in South Africa, undergoing three operations and a skin graft, but three months on is still receiving medical treatment.
Read more here